Thursday, December 5, 2013

Post 2: What is a book?

A book is a story that can be as complex or as simple as you want, as long or short as you want, and has as many characters that are needed to make a good story. In other words, a book is a story. A book is like a baseball game, it can be played anywhere, different events occur, there are different people participate,  a game can end very early or very late, anything can happen and people still come back to watch (or read in the books case) for the entertainment. I recently read some excerpts from the book The Late American Novel: Writers on the Future of Books, and the many writers agree that there is something special about reading from a printed book rather than an electrical version and I agree. I feel that its cooler to read from a book rather than reading a book from an electrical device. Maybe it's me because I like to have a hard copy of everything. I don't trust electrical files all that much so I probably can't trust that an electrical version of a book will be readily available to read if the device gets a virus or the device were to freeze. Like I said, I don't read for pleasure a lot, but when I do, I want to read from a printed copy of a book. What I look for in a book is that the story is good, perferrably part of a series, the characters seem relateable to my life, age or activities I do, and the story always contains lots of action that will keep me from putting down the book, like battles or games in sports stories. Not to mention, a little bit of humor in the stroy will attract me even more but it won't hurt my opinion of the book if it lacks this element.

No comments:

Post a Comment