Thursday, February 6, 2014

Post 8: Thoughts of Non-Truthful Memoirs

When I hear the word memoir, I think of true stories. Apparently, that's not the most followed assumption. Over the years, many writers have written what they call "memoirs". In reality, their stories are skewed with stretching the truth and even making up the story all together.

My opinion of memoirs is 100% truth. Well, some of the story may not be truthful because the author may have a perspective that can be different from that of the reader. That is the only exception I can think of for a memoir, besides that, I expect the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I think that a half-truth story is fine, as long as it is under the fiction genre. As long as the story is good, I'll read it. Some of my favorite books are realistic fiction and those have some truth to them. Some real events, some real people, the story happening in a real time in history, no doubt that I wouldn't mind reading about it. As long the genre fits with the story, I'll read it.

I think we take genres for granted, or maybe that's just me. Probably because when I find a fascinating book, I'll pick it up and read it. I don't care whether it is fiction or non-fiction, I'll read it. Talking about the truth when it comes to stories in class, I found out that I do mind whether non-fiction does tell the truth or not. The next time I find a fascinating book, I'll make sure that book matches the genre it is suppose to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment